Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Storm Born Volume 1 by Richelle Mead

For fans of the series and newcomers alike, Storm Born Volume 1 is a great introduction to the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead.


Eugenie Markham never asked for any of this. Until now, she''s been content with her job as a freelance shaman, battling and banishing Otherworldly creatures. When a prophecy suddenly makes her the Otherworld''s most popular bachelorette, Eugenie finds herself fighting off unwanted supernatural suitors, as well as the evils that begin emerging from her past...

120 pages
Published September 20th, 2011 by Sea Lion Books

Read July 2011

So it isn’t every day that I do reviews of comic books or graphic novels. Okay, fine, the only one I ever did was Watchmen and that was a long time ago. When Sea Lion Books contacted me and asked me to do a review of the first two parts of the STORM BORN by Richelle Mead graphic novel (Volume One is coming out September 20th), I had a moment of hesitation before I signed up. PS, these two parts are now available at comic book stores as issues 1 and 2, so you don’t have to wait around for the compilation book to come out!

I haven’t read STORM BORN yet, but I probably should have – it’s on my TBR list. That isn’t an issue for those new to the graphic novels. STORM BORN is about Eugenie Markham, who is a shaman taking on the critters of the Otherworld – djinns, kereses, so on and so forth. There is action, suspense, and lighter moments along the road (sexy times anyone?). In issue 1 we’re introduced to her life and her job while in issue 2 we get deeper into the action setting up the conflict.

Just reading this introduction to the series makes me want to read more of these graphic novels and the series itself. I can only assume for people who HAVE read the Dark Swan series in book format it will be equally as satisfying and interesting, having a graphic take on what they’ve already read. One problem I had with the graphic version was an overload of back story in almost every cell while Eugenie recounts her life, her training, and things that seem directly copied and pasted from the book a bit heavy-handedly.

Overall, I loved this introduction to the series and can’t wait to pick up STORM BORN the novel and the rest of the issues of the comics or the graphic novel when the compilation comes out.

♥♥♥♥/5

VERDICT: For fans of the books or newcomers alike, STORM BORN the comic series is great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment