Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Book Brats Top Ten Fave Books

Since I've been a naughty blogger the past few days (bad Megan, bad Megan!), I've decided to do a little impromptu post where I tell you about my ten favorite books of all time and tell you why I think you should read them. As you might have noticed by now, Book Brats doesn't focus on a genre, we focus on a demographic - young women ages 18-30. Being right smack in the middle of that, I hope that maybe suggesting some of the books I've loved will broaden your horizons and give you some new ideas for what you should pick up next time you hit the library, Amazon, or the book store! But it might be of note that yes, I do love science fiction, so it might be a bit weighted towards science fiction.

1.) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
268 pages
My all time favorite book, Brave New World is the epitome of a dystopian future to me in addition to being a classic of science fiction. It's hard to believe it was written 80 years ago. A definite must read.

2.) Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
525 pages
A historical drama about the life of a little person in World War II Germany, this is probably the only story that has ever made me cry. Trudi's story is heartbreaking and inspiring. Truly touching.

3.) Contact by Carl Sagan
580 pages
A science fiction story for the realist scientist, Contact is a book where the movie is also amazing. Not only about the search for extraterrestrial life, it's also a story about the search for who we are inside, and for the human condition.

4.) The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
399 pages
My favorite young adult book of all time, The Golden Compass is a definite classic that has inspired me and helped me discover who I am as a writer and a reader. So imaginative and powerful.

5.) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
529 pages
Middlesex is a story about an intersexed person growing up in Detroit. Yes, I am a Jeffrey Eugenides lover and cannot wait for his next book coming out next month, but Middlesex is a rich story about families and self identity.

6.) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
536 Pages
A romance for the ages while combining fantasy and science fiction in a contemporary, literary story, this book moved me and made me ask myself questions about love and what it really means.

7.) A Door into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski
416 Pages
Something of a forgotten science fiction epic, this is hard science fiction at its finest. An epic work of world building, romance, biology, and feminism, it's definitely a girl power book that also serves as a story about what happens when civilizations expand and look for new territory.

8.) Dune by Frank Herbert
608 Pages
Dune is one of the few books my father has ever suggested to me, but it's so layered and complex with some amazing back story and characters. The way the universe is created (and expanded upon in later books) is alluring and makes you ask questions - the mark of a good book, in my opinion.

9.) She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
465 Pages
A coming of age story with love, growing, and hardship, you can't help by root for Dolores as she grows from a 13 year old girl addicted to television and food abandoned by her family to a woman who struggles with herself and doubt. Heartbreaking and revealing tale into the human condition and the struggle to overcome our hardships.

10.) Watchmen by Alan Moore
408 Pages
The first and only graphic novel I've bought and read, I've read this over and over and over again. Completely out there and different, but so vivid and jarring, Watchmen takes you and shakes you hard as you watch the world unfurl, along with the superheroes who inhabit it.

So yeah, these are my ten favorite books of all time. I hope if you haven't heard of them or read them, you'll add them to your to be read list and pick up a copy. And if you have read any of them, I'd love to know! These are some great stories.

Honorable mentions: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey, Expendable by James Alan Gardner, Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, Lethe by Tricia Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment